Friday, March 14, 2008

In Memory

Somber start to the morning. Darci called this morning to let me know that a friend, Nathan Dodd, from growing up passed away in his sleep. Nathan was 24 years old and they aren't sure what was the cause.

While I haven't been a close friend to Nathan in years, when something like this happens it's easy to think back about how you were connected, how they affected you, and what you learned from your interactions and experiences with that person.

Nathan went through school with me, from grade school to highschool, and was always on the periphery of my life. He was one of those boys in middle school that all of the girls had the biggest crushes on and my 6th and 7th grade year books reflect exactly that. His picture is circled with hearts and a note to the side that says "hott!" During this time I didn't really interact with him, I was more of a silent observer...in band...in class...on field trips. I can remember one school field trip we went to Brookwood mall and got goodie bags for some band event and they had little tubes of toothpaste. Nathan ate my tube of toothpaste. I don't know why I remember that.

When I got into 8th grade and into high school, Nathan and I became better friends. We had the same group of friends. My friend Becky's play house in her backyard was our hang out for years and it's tattooed with his name and the random things that highschool boys write on walls...followed up with edits from the girls with "Nathan is a crazy" or hearts or whatever.

I went away to college and lost touch with Nathan. I'd hear about him now and again from friends, mostly that his antics were getting worse and worse and he was getting into more and more trouble.

I saw him again on December 23, 2006 at a party with some friends. He was barely coherant, but happy to see me. He told me things were going well and he was engaged to a wonderful girl. I don't think their engagement lasted much after that. I saw him again this Christmas and the interaction was similar again. He was incoherant, happy to see me and we talked for awhile. I told him about my life in Seattle and what I'd been up to. He turned to me and wrapped an arm around me and said the first clear statement he had said all night, "I always knew you'd do well Jess, take the world by storm." Nothing consequential happened for the rest of the evening and we parted without speaking again. Three months later, he passed away.

I'd like to think that was a good note to end on...he believed in me. That's how I'll chose to remember him. A fun-loving, handsome young man who believed in me.

No comments: