Monday, March 19, 2007

It's a small world after all...

It is weird how small the world is. I guess I've always known it, I've run into people I knew in foreign countries and in various parts of the United States and it always strikes you as strange. Six degree of separation. I can be comforted to know that I know someone, who knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone else that knows Johnny Depp. My that is comforting. Anyway, It didn't really occur how strange it is until this Saturday.

I was at a sports pub with a few of my friends watching the Washington State/Vandy game and sitting right next to this guy that I didn't know. As many of you know I start conversations with everyone. Just never know when I'll meet someone that is a degree closer to Johnny Depp. Anyway it was clear to both of us that we weren't interested in the game.

He says, "I don't care about this game at all."
"Nor do I," I said.
"I'm from Montana," he said.
"Ah, cool, I'm from Alabama."
"No way," he says, "I went to school in Alabama."
"Really?!" I said.
"Yeah, I went to UAB."
"No way, dude, I went to UAB."
"Were you in a sorority there?"
"Yeah, I was Alpha Xi Delta."
"Oh awesome, I was Pi Kappa Phi."

Turns out we know all the same people. Completely random. He graduated in 2005. I hung out with him yesterday and reminised about Alabama and sweet tea. We had a good time. It was sunny yesterday so we got to walk around Olympic Sculpture Park, Golden Gate, played some miniature golf...good times. It's almost like a small piece of home here with me. I think it will be nice to have a friend like that here.

No comments: