Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Times They Are A Changin'

So it might be 45 years since Bob Dylan wrote one of his most famous songs, but with Obama being our new president-elect and his campaign for "change", this song keeps coming to mind. I thought I'd put it to the test line by line to see if it holds any relevance today, or if I'm just trying to be deep. Or if I just love Bob Dylan, which I do. Alright, here we go.

Come gather 'round people - Yes, that works for today, people can still gather 'round. To make it more timely, our opposing political parties need to gather together.

Wherever you roam - People all over the nation, yes good.

And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
- With global warming the ice caps are melting, making more water. Hah, okay, yes we have a rift in our nation.

And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
- If you live in the Pacific Northwest you're always drenched to the bone, Bobby. But knowing you grew up in MN, you probably weren't referencing that.

If your time to you
Is worth savin'
- We just had daylight savings time to do this very thing!
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
- Uhhh....
For the times they are a-changin'. - OBAMA!

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen - Political analysts? Journalists? Everyone interested in the election?
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
- You can only cast your vote once, or something.
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin - it kind of stopped spinning yesterday, although I guess my life is still spinning. To MBA or not to MBA?
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
- It named Obama...and MBA? Or.....no MBA?...MBA? Dizzy...
For the loser now - MBA?...No...McCain?
Will be later to win - Palin?! God, no.
For the times they are a-changin'. - OBAMA!

Come senators, congressmen - McCain, Obama
Please heed the call - "Run for president!"
Don't stand in the doorway - French doors are becoming more popular on HGTV, maybe to solve this problem. It'd be hard for someone to block two doors...
Don't block up the hall - Thanks to WW, I lost enough weight to no block too many hallways..
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
- uhhh...stalling...please no one hit me. Oh wait, I got it! McCain postponing campaigning to "help with the economic crisis." Analysts are saying it's one of his biggest campaign mistakes. That and Palin.
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
- Raining a little bit outside...imagine that. Rain in Seattle? No f'ing way.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
- Susan, my precious cat keeps running into the walls ans rattling them a bit. At least rattling my nerves.
For the times they are a-changin'. - OBAMA!

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
- Okay, I took this one four lines. Actually really relevant. Not that my mom is critical at all, she's lovely. But my mother and father are on the other side of the land, and my dad mentioned his varying political stance...
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
- and my mom, while she is lovely, is a mom who is learning to mother an adult daughter. I think it's an ongoing learning curve, poor mom.
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
- Uhhh...parts of my street could definitely stand to be repaved. And so could our economy.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
- Hm.
For the times they are a-changin'. - OBAMA!

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
- Maybe some witchy people casting spells on people on Halloween? Uh, nevermind.
The slow one now
Will later be fast
- I'm getting tired....but tomorrow morning...I'll be so fast all you'll see is blur biznitches.
As the present now
Will later be past
- ...that ellipses was written...in the past.
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
- I am too....
And the first one now
Will later be last
- I'm pretty sure I lost my own challenge to be deep at this point...damn it. Maybe if I just get a fresh thought on it tomorrow...I'll come up with something so totally thought provoking it will BLOW YOUR MIND.
For the times they are a-changin'. - OBAMA!

Okay, good night. Sorry you had to endure that. Very, very, very sorry.

No comments: