Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I want to go to NYC.

I can remember the exact moment that I realized I was fat. I was in 8th grade and waiting for my mother to come and pick me up after school. While waiting for our parents some friends were talking about going to the cutest boy in our grade's dance birthday party – I was not invited. Just then, cute boy walks by and over hears the discussion.

"Jessica, you're not invited," Cute Boy says. "I don't want fat girls at my party."

There had been warning signs about my weight throughout my life. I wore a size 8 in women's at the age of 11, I had stretch marks on my legs and I was constantly stared at by adults and children my age. Somehow, it wasn't until that moment that I received affirmation.

Tears started to stream down my face as my "friends" giggled and walked away with cute boy leaving me all alone. I climbed into my mom's car and sobbed the way home. When I got home, I ate a huge piece of chocolate cake to make myself feel better.

Growing up in an Italian family, in the South, with a chef for a father, food was the solution to everything. We used to comfort ourselves, to celebrate our achievements, whatever the occasion, food would be there.

When I moved to Seattle I convinced myself I would live a healthier lifestyle. I joined a gym and exercised regularly. I kept watching the scale hoping for a change, but the cupcakes and ranch covered french-fries I'd eat after my work outs negated any effects. I felt completely miserable; I hated the way I looked.

Some friends at work asked me to join them at a Weight Watchers meeting and for breakfast one morning before heading to the office, admittedly the draw was breakfast.

Weight Watchers turned around my life. I started to eat responsibly and understand that my portions were out of control, that my eating habits were dismal. I stopped hiding from my roommate so I could eat another carton of ice cream and the cheese drawer. I started to feel good.

I hit my goal weight this year, and I look at pictures and can't help smile and think, "Wow, you did it. You really are beautiful." For the first time in my life, I know I'm beautiful and I could get to any cute boy's party.

5 comments:

Nina said...

I think you've always been beautiful. I think a lot of people can relate to this post- I certainly can. Its nice to know we are not alone in those expierences.

Mandie P said...

ok i have questions- 1- why the title? -2- tell me who "cute boy" was... I bet you $$ that I wasn't invited either!

You are beautiful- always have been and I'll beat anyone who says otherwise!!!

wac said...

I agree! You're so beautiful, you could be an air hostess in the 60's!

Now you can have parties and not invite boys who think they're hot... :)

wac said...

Oh, and you're totally going to NYC!!!

Feral said...

... You are sick,...
Never was "FAT",...
Regardless of some Southern asshole punk said you weren't fat,..

I am glad you are happier,... but remember DON"T LET THIS CONSUME YOU,... you still need to enjoy life.