Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Italian Family Reunion

So C and I make the trek across the country for my family reunion which was exactly what I needed to unwind from the work grind. We took an overnight flight last Wednesday, arriving into Boston's Logan International Airport at 7:30 am.

My cousin, N, picked us up from the airport. Due my demanding nature and extreme withdrawels of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, we headed straight for Dunks to pick up a medium iced hazelnut coffee. A-mazing. I drank the entire thing in basically three minutes flat and started to sip on N's Iced Mocha Latte. Now, I'm loyal to my hazelnut coffee, but that mocha latte was WW's worst nightmare. That 16 oz beverage claims 270 calories and 5 grams of fat - 1 gram of fiber. 6 points for pure delight. Way to go DD. America runs on you.

We headed back to my grandparents house and immediately dug into breakfast and I didn't remove the fork from my hand until I left on Sunday evening. While I was there I induldged in the following items:
* French Toast
* Italian Wedding Cookies
* DD coffee
* Thumb print cookies
* Eggplant parmesan
* Manicotti
* DD coffee
* Sandwiches of all flavors and persuasions
* Fish cakes
* DD coffee
* Funnel Cake
* Shrimp casserole
* Fritatta
* DD coffee
* Fried eggplant with tuna fish inside (do NOT ask)
* Cheese, cheese and cheese
* Caesar salad
* Slush
* Caramel apples
* Peach Salsa

Amazingly enough I stepped on the scale and lost 1/2 a lb while I was there. I think my body is in a temporary coma and it will hit the scale full force tomorrow at weigh in.

I honestly had a really great time. My family is truly extraordinary. I got to spend a good deal of time with my cousin, N. We dressed alike the whole time and I have to admit, I really liked it. It was kinda cheesy, fun, cute. She's moving to Florida at the end of this week to live with a boyfriend in Sarasota. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, but I think it will be good for her to get outside of Gloucester for awhile.

I saw my dad and my brothers. How in Christ's sake did I end up with such good brothers? I don't even begin to know, but thank goodness I did. It's amazing to have two siblings (J and My Master *S*)that love me as much as they do. I didn't get to talk to J as much as I would have liked since his friends were in town, but he and C went on a bike ride and got to spend some time together so that's good. S and I talked some, he really is a great bro, even though you left a f'ing bruise on my arm.

My aunts and uncles are great as well. All of them are exceptionally unique and are extraordinarily giving in each of their own ways. I've always hated that I don't talk to them as much as I'd like, and I am really going to try to make a conscious effort to get better about it. I want to be a part of their lives and my cousin's lives...I want them to be a part of mine. I've missed out on a lot of that.

And my grandparents. Truly amazing people. My grandmother stressed for days about what to feed me and then waited until two hours before I left to let me know that I had veggie burgers in the freezer. Hahaha, that woman CRACKS me up.

While I was there I also got to see my best friend who is now living in Providence. It was just so nice to be near her. She will always be the closest thing to a sister and admittedly I feel like a huge part of me is missing without her around.

Anyway, good trip.

Now, my 15 year old cousin, M from the other side of the family is staying with me for the month of July. It's going to be a busy, busy summer.


Enjoy the pics...


Me and N


Me and C


Me, My bro (My Master S), N


My bro S, J, and Me


Me and Dad



Me, Dad and J


N, my amazing Nonna and Me -- Can you believe that N wouldn't let us dress alike to go out to a dance club with her friends? I mean, seriously. I could have gotten us two of those sparkley shirts and we would have been all set.


N, my cousin B and Me


N and Me

Okay, good day and good night. I'm off to hang out with the boys at a skateboarding shop. Wooo.

1 comment:

wac said...

Sounds like a lovely trip! Your family is beautiful :) I'm glad you had such a great time :)