Monday, July 28, 2008

The great northwest outdoors..

I'd be lying to you if I told you I was ever enthusiastic about spending a weekend without showering, roughing it in the great outdoors. Living in the northwest for the past year and a half has given me a slight change of heart. I enjoy the river, the rolling hills, untamed peaks and the evergreen this state has to offer. The air really is cleaner here.

This weekend I had the pleasure of spending my time camping with some of my friends in Eastern Washington near Ellensburg. My friend, CP, is moving away to Chicago for law school and we went to celebrate his departure. CP was my first friend when I moved here and he introduced me to all of my friends here. He truly made my life here a pleasure.

CP is a rare breed. He's always upbeat, always in a good mood. He does ridiculous things and wants everything to be alright. He brings out the best in everyone. He's a good heart and a great friend.

I have had some of the best times with CP. Last year we had a weekend celebration on a island in Portland called "Skull Island", we have had several trips to Spokane and good times in Seattle. CP helped me to want to be nicest to people, to be kinder, to see the good. All of my laughter here, all of the good is either a direct or indirect result of him, and I can't thank him enough for all that he's given me. He will truly be missed.

So, when he asked our group of friends to spend a few days without showers in the outdoors, I obviously couldn't say no. C and I gathered up our tent and sleeping bags, packed food and headed off over Snoqualmie Pass into the rolling hills of Eastern Washington. We spent Friday night hanging out by the fire and talking, reminiscing of the days of yesteryear. Saturday we floated the river for awhile and chatted again, played some boggle, walked around. Sunday floated again, chatted some more and said our goodbyes.

Without CP I wouldn't have made the move to Seattle. Without CP, I wouldn't have had one of the best years of my life. Without CP I would have never fallen in love with the great northwest outdoors.

Thanks CP for all that you've done in my life. You will kick ass in school and be around to defend me when I start living life on the edge in three years.

No comments: