Thursday, September 11, 2008

More bucket list...

I'm in Los Angeles right now for a new business pitch. I'm so lucky to be thought so well of at work to come to something like this. It says something about me, or at least that's what people tell me. I have the tendency to beat myself up though, when I'm in levels that require professionalism. I always think I'm the biggest idiot in the room. Which tonight, was probably true. Imagine yourself in the room with the following people:

* Co-creater/conceptor/voice of Teenage Mutane Ninja Turtles and co-starter of MSN, plus a bunch of other things.
* The EVP of my company in the USA division. He discovered Jared of Subway. Need I say more?
* The president of my office. She an articulate woman, a genius, winner of many awards, the person I want to be some day. Seriously, she's scary, she's powerful, she's my hero.
* One of the Vice Presidents of my company that is a strategic planning/event genius. He's loved by every client he ever interacts with.

And then there is me....they were hesitating as we were practicing on how to introduce me. "What do we say about Jessica......" they asked. "Uhh...she's...she has a blog!" That's true, I do. You're succumbing to that misery right now you poor smuck. "Uhhh, would you say you understand social media, Jessica?" Yes. Actually, I do. I take pride in my social media knowledge, but wait...what's twitter again? I'mmmmmmmmm justtttttttt kiddding.

So on the plane down I continued my bucket list. Here's a bit more...of course there is more to come. And I'll update you as I take on each of these scripted life challenges.



25. Featured in if not star of television show.
26. Discover an educational passion and go back to school to pursue it.
27. Read more books. I’ve always wanted to become more engaged in literature, history and science to gain a better understanding of our world but admittedly I’m lazy – I can change that, thank you Seattle Public Library Card.
28. Create a financial life plan. There are so very many things that I want to do (as you can see from my list), but many of them require financial means. By creating a better plan of attack on my budget I could probably get them done more quickly.
29. Create a cookbook of some of my favorite family recipes. My family is all exquisite culinarians and I’d like to be able to learn from their skills.
30. Create a cookbook with my mother. We want to compile all of the great recipes that have helped us along the WW path.
31. Pay my brother Shawn back. He bought my car so needless to say, I owe him A LOT of money.
32. Become better organized. My mom or C can attest to my pack rat nature and misplaced brain so I often forget important dates, information, etc. Bad way to live life, but something I can fix.
33. Grow a garden. Once I have a place I can plant things, I think I should like to have my own little garden.
34. Give back to children in need. I’m not sure what this could mean yet, but I think I’d like to be a Fresh Air sponsor, CASA volunteer, foster parent or even adoptive parent. There are just so many kids out there that deserve sunshine.
35. Go to India with my friend D.
36. See my Nonna’s name at Ellis Island.
37. Take a glass blowing class.
38. Make a conscious effort to be kinder. I don’t know if you’d agree, but I find that the people I’m often the most hurtful to are they people that are closest to me. That’s by no means the type of person I want to be. This world can always use a little bit more kindness.
39. Visit the tulip festival in Victoria, B.C. or Burlington, WA. Why the heck do I miss it every year? I love tulips.
40. Go to Oktober fest.
41. Walk along the Great Wall.
42. Find patience. While I wouldn’t call myself an impatient person by any means, I certainly have certain limits…such as children on planes. I’m currently on a plane right now to Los Angeles and if this kid doesn’t stop kicking my seat I swear to Go-okay, breathe patience. Yes, good idea.
43. Bulk up my fun. While I think my life has been filled with good times, I spend a fair amount of time watching television instead of going out and doing everything this world has to offer. Fun could mean getting involved in YPN (Young Professionals Network through Chamber of Commerce) or Toastmasters or a painting class, just something. I want fun and I want it in bulk.
44. Accept my past. While I think much of my past history doesn’t impede in my personal growth, I know I harbor a lot of negative feelings. I don’t need those bad feelings anymore, they can go.
45. Learn to play an instrument (piano and/or guitar). I can play flute and I can play chop sticks on piano, a couple items on guitar. I would really like to learn though. Especially since I can’t sing. It’s my only hope for being musically inclined.
46. Don’t allow myself to languish in unhappiness. Far too many people let themselves be miserable and I don’t ever want to do that. Whether it’s work or personal, being miserable just is definitely not worth it.


Okay, bed time.

No comments: