Sunday, August 3, 2008

Much better than you did in high school...

I posted a new picture up on my facebook page today from Genesee Park. C and I went down there to watch the Blue Angels' show, which was in fact awesome.




In the picture my hair is a mess, I have grass all over me...it's not what I'd call a stellar picture. Funny enough, though, I received a comment on fb from a girl I knew back in high school saying, "Wow, you look so much better than you did."

While I know she didn't mean anything by it except exactly what she said, I think, "Who the hell actually looked good in high school, and if they did look good then which of them still look good now?"

Okay, there are a few exceptions, but not that many that come to top of mind. Anyway, here are things that are different from high school:

* I'm several years older
* 50 lbs lighter
* less acne thanks to Proactive and Jessica Simpson
* A lot less naive
* Not miserable
* slightly less dramatic

I'd like to say I'm more intelligent, but that is to be determined. Talking about high school gets me thinking back though. While high school is/was utterly miserable for the large chunk of us, here are a few things that make me feel nostalgic:

* Being near my best friends
* The predictability of life. Even if you could predict each and every day sucking.
* Simplicity of it all.
* Pep rallies. It's funny to think that pom poms and "chubby bunny" would inspire me feel any level of peppiness. Especially about football.
* My old high school principal. He had the best sayings EVER. "Don't be late in '98." "Be on time in '99." "Don't be slow in double 0." And my favorite, "Miss Randazza, why don't you get on to class and soak up lots of knowledge like a giant car wash sponge."

Ahhh, Mr. C. Such great advice has rarely been seen. In fact, I think I'm going to make that my goal for the next month. I am going to soak up as much knowledge as I can "like a giant car wash sponge." That way when someone says something like "how did you ever overcome being the ugliest person ever since high school?" maybe then I'll have soaked up enough wit to say something snide back.


Meh. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Mandie P said...

don't you love those innocent comments that make you feel like crap!?! like when you are sick and someone tells you "ohhh you don't look so good" and you immediatly feel 1000x worse...

oh and pep rallies- how did I forget they exsisted- SO MUCH FUN!